Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A dream deferred (3 of 365)

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?

-Langston Hughes



Before I start this blog to all my Facebook friends, this will be the last blog showing up on my page.  If you like my blog and would like to follow my journey please click A CHAT WITH MATT or go to www.achatwithmatt.blogspot.com and click FOLLOW this blog.  I am going to have 100 readers by the end of the month.  Please be one of them.  I will be writing some naughty and some nice but all authentically me so if you wanna ride....COME ON!!!!  

I remember memorizing and reciting that poem over 20 years ago when I was just starting my journey of discovery.  And sitting in the doctors office today hearing some things I did NOT want to hear I wonder.  I know, I know, 'ya gotta believe, ya gotta hold on, keep on keepin on, keep hope alive, stay positive, stay in the NOW, pray, go to church, meditate' but dayum!  Can a sistah get a break.  What was Langston really saying?  Does everyone's dreams come true?  Or do some just explode in their face?  Is it their fault, did they give up to soon?  Were they dissallusioned in the first place?  

I told an old friend today the story that I used to tell my Weight Watcher members when they got tired of gaining and losing the same 10 pounds over and over again.  

Howard Carter one of the greatest figures in the history of archaeology known best for discovering King Tutankhamun's tomb.  Little is known of him other than this.  He had this dream since he was like 17 years old and had all sorts of odd jobs and wasn't taken very seriously from time to time in his life.  He was a tour guide, a water colorist but his dream was alive.  He knew that King Tut's tomb existed and he fought for over 25 years sometimes with no support until finally someone fueled his dream.  He discoved the tomb only days before the digs end.  This story really resonates with me.  It's like when you have a dream or are working on creating something from nothing.  People have all sorts of advice.  All are not haters I must confess.  Some are people that love us dearly and don't want to see us hurt they don't want to see us hurt again and again or they just honestly don't have the vantage point that we do.  Like Moses and the promised land.  He led his people but was not permitted to go.  So it is for many of our parents and loved ones.  They nurture us as much and as far as they can and then it is up to us to make that final climb.  I have read that many thought Howard Carter to be a bit of a quack or a looser and he is known for having made one the major discoveries of our time.  So who am I not to believe in my lil old dream that I actually have something unique, worth sharing with the world.  It has been a dream of mine since I was a lad.  Lad sounds so corny but that's how it came out. lol!  I used to dream of performing in front of hundreds of thousands of people and I saw myself on talk shows sharing my joy, my light, insights from my journey.  And tho I do not know what tomorrow brings, I take heart from Howard Carter, his journey and I continue on.  Maybe my dream is just on a detour...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters so much!