Monday, November 8, 2010

48 hours

Driving home tonight from a full day of bustling about I was thinking of what from my amazing day I would share.  I was driving in the suburban town that I grew up in and was struck by the two young men standing on a corner.  Here?  This place was once a utopia.  I remember hearing stories about from my parents from when they first moved here.  They were the pioneers that helped integrate our lane.  In elementary school we had square dancing as a part of our gym requirement.  This place where we once left the doors open 24 hours is now guarded by ADT.  And now young black men on corners are a part of the mosaic.  My first thought was how terrible this is, how awful, how the neighborhood has gone down, how I should call the police and ask about the curfew and tell those boys to go home.  Then I thought....to what?  What will they go home to if they are standing there hoping to not get caught adding to the destruction of a community they don't even know exists; they cant possibly be going home to the home that I imagine.  I sent them love and light reflected on a conversation I had this past week and thought- it indeed is an epidemic...what will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters so much!