Wednesday, February 10, 2010

3of32 salt

 Well we are about to get a never before recorded in time record snow storm, again.  Snow, snow and more snow.  I really miss LA but I am here now on the east coast and it is all about the snow.  On the news, on the radio, conversations with people.  In LA my biggest concern was when to meet someone so I wouldn't get caught on the 405 during rush hour or smoke inhalation from the summer brush fires. Oh yeah and the earthquakes.  I guess no matter where you are in the world, mother nature rules.

Okay, so I remember somewhere in history class that wars have been fought over salt.  I ran out Sat. and felt compelled to have salt, we need salt, it was my mission to get salt today.  I met my friend Felisha for lunch today and was invited to do a quick drive by at Daffy's my FAVORITE place to shop.  Amazing deals by the way. And I declined, primarily because I needed to go to the grocery story to get my veggies so I can juice and make amazing salads and raw dressings while cooped up for the next few days, because I can't find my glasses and didn't want to get caught at night in the snow without them AND to get salt.  It's mid February and have used salt once but the news and the conversations have me convinced I need to get some salt. 

First stop, Wegmans, thought I could do one stop shopping but of course....no salt.  Down to Costco they have not to have it...boogie boards, goggles...no salt.  A hot dog later....ruined my raw day with that one.  I run in to Target...no salt.  In the car, tank on E across the street to Acme.  No salt but a smart ass clerk who smirks and says, "you want salt on the day of the storm?"  I laugh and pretend I don't want to pause and cuss his but out.  But I am working on being more loving and letting the things that don't matter, not matter so I pursue on, and he was kinda right.  It is dark now but not snowing and I know where I am going so I am not that concerned about my vision.  Maybe its all the carrot juice I have been drinking.    Back in the car, to a gas station, gas? nahhh...but they may have some salt...no such luck.

Phone rings, mom is worried about the power going out, I tell her to find her cell phone and charge it up.    On the phone with my dear friend in LA who is checking in.  LA has heard about the snow, maybe it really is gonna snow hard.  Okay so I go to CVS, Rite Aide, another gas station this time to get gas...NO SALT.  As I am waiting for the attendant to fill my tank one of the advantages of being in NJ, law to that I can't pump!!! I am thinking about what was the world like with no salt?  Who discovered salt?  How did it become something to fight over, why is salt retention thought by some to be the gene component that saved many a Africans life during the middle passage and why can't I find any when I really want some?  Maybe I will pour some table salt on the  driveway tomorrow.

I am around the corner from my house and there is a small conveney owned by some Eastern Indians that used to be a WaWa and I thought I'll try but they just can't have any but what the hey...Bingo!  $14.99....I laughed out loud and almost left it there but alas....I had the coveted salt.  And SCENE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters so much!