Tuesday, February 9, 2010

2of32/CARROTS


So I am reading this book The Raw Food Detox Diet by the beautiful Natalia Rose and in it she suggests that you make this green lemonade which is AMAZING by the way.  You take a lemon, 2 apples, 4 stalks of kale, a head of romaine and some ginger and juice it.  I add an orange and on a day like today when I didn't have anymore Romaine so I used cucumber.  Yum differ!  Now here comes my issue.

Waste.  It literally hurts my soul to take all the pulp and throw it away.  So in the middle of the juicing process I separate the kale and lettuce pulp throw it in the pan with some olive oil and sea salt and flash cook it for about a minute....DELICIOUS!!!!!  NOW I am not only juicing kale EVERY DAY I am eating it as well.  Great.  I have minimized my waste and my body is loving it.

Many times people ask me why I look so young and vibrant.  I can't say I am the HEALTHIEST person on the planet but I believe that food as God made it in its purest form is best for our bodies.  I love food, whole UNPROCESSED FOODS.  Many think I am a vegetarian, I AM NOT.  Many think I am a Raw Foodie, I AM NOT.  But I love pure food....simple.  So if you catch me with a rib in my mouth I don't want you to think me a hypocrite.  So I am setting the record straight.  I believe in balance and whole foods, as God intended.  AND I believe in GOOD TASTING foods.  I love cooking, and sharing    the gift of my understanding of flavors with others.  It is much like my love of performance, I see no difference in the two really.  I have a gift and I just love sharing it.  Only with food, I haven't gotten paid for it YET.  My friends, even my mother - who is the greatest benefactor of my food exploits now and the main inspiration- state, "You should open a restaurant!"  Lots of work, maybe when I retire..

So I am talking to my friend Felisha on the phone, trying to convince her to buy a juicer.  She is a vegan and I just want to make sure she gets all of her nutrients in.  Many times, vegans and vegetarians, because they don't eat from the full spectrum of foods, don't get all of the enzymes, vitamins and minerals that all foods provide.  She tells me about this amazing drink she had of carrot, apple and banana.  I am like, "Felisha, you can't juice a banana"  She explains that you you juice the juice then blend the banana.  I have a bag of organic carrots so after juicing my green lemonade I start in on the carrots.  I have a bag of pulp, orange bright, full of Vitamin A and Carotene (sort of the same thing).  "Make carrot bread, I know you can do a good job on that girl"  And there it was.....I don't wanna waste all those vitamins that God placed here for me, I don't wanna throw it in the trash.  oh!

So now I am surfing the web, looking for the best use of my carrot pulp.  Carrot cake, carrot bread, carrot marmalade, carrot soup, carrot bricks???  I am not sure what to do right now one lady suggested flattening it out and freezing it and then breaking off pieces to use in soups, I can dehydrate it in my dehydrator, maybe make carrot chips.  Or I could just throw it away and pray for forgiveness.  I could start a compost pile.  What should I do!!!!!!??????

www.achatwithmatt.blogspot.com
leave comments here!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I love juicing. I wish I would have had room in my car to bring mine with me from LA - I miss it. Kale is one of my favorite greens to juice, so many nutrients. Juicing period, and excellent way to get nutrients, helps flush your system and just makes the skin beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right!!! I just started with Kale and am amazed at how nicely it juices! There are some great places to get juice in LA as well which is nice. Have you been to RAW on 6th and Broadway in Santa Monica?

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion matters so much!