Thursday, January 20, 2011

NYC.....REMEMBERING TOKYO 110 of 365

New York, New York big city of dreams.  Today was a good day.  Did a voice over job, went to Reproductions to get MORE pictures and met my good dear friend Chris at Outback on 23rd.  Outback was the place that Chris and I used to rush to after work in Tokyo.  We would jump on the B bus from the Broadway Theater at Tokyo Disney Sea, rush through the security gate to


Mahaima station trying to hurry past the fans waiting at the gate to scream, cry or follow us and get on that train to Outback.  Being in Japan so long Outback made us feel like home.  It was great to see him and to commune with Chris.  We haven't seen each other in forever and my friend has been going through some serious health challenges.  I realized that while in Japan I was at the voice doctor's office almost every Thursday one of my day's off.  Chris was also off on Thursdays and would often accompany me through the scary process.  He has gone through so much of this challenging time alone.  I don't know how he does it, there is a silent strength in that man and a great and wonderful friend.  I feel seen with Chris and don't know exactly how to help him through this trying time.  I know his presence just made me feel better while in Japan, took my mind off of the troubles of the day and it didn't seem so bad.  Today I hope that was his day with me.  Still supporting even when not at his stronger I learned again what friendship is.  I am so lucky, so blessed and so grateful to have been so graced by such amazing near and dear friends.  'Some are silver and the other gold'.....

There were a few Japanese guys sitting behind us and it made the scene complete.  We traipsed through the city and there were so many memories of Japan.  Just moving through the city with such ease and grace.  I have learned NY the way that I learned Tokyo and I enjoy knowing, finally, what train gets me where and the maize is starting to make sense.  I remember my first week in Tokyo I though, 'how the hell am I gonna get ANYWHERE' and somehow with time and a little help from friends the gibberish the conductor made through the garbled sound system started to make sense and I knew I would make my way.  My first day traveling on the train in Tokyo was like learning to ride a bike without falling down.  My first train ride in NY was a similar one.  I was spending so much money on Taxi's I finally made my way into the dark, dirty subways of NY.  Very different than the quiet orderly and clean Tokyo but just as confusing.  Today I had the option train, taxi or walk.  I walked and took the city in and we walked and took the day in.  A day filled with blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters so much!